<VV> Fuel Gauge/sender questions

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Feb 10 11:41:10 EST 2011

At 21:45 2/09/2011 -0500, Bob Gilbert wrote:

>Is that true of our older Corvair gauges or is the variable current caused
>by the variable resistor (the sender) changing the magnetic strength of a
>coil - and thereby moving the needle?

This is exactly how the Corvair fuel gauge operates, except that there are
two coils working against each other.  Both coils are attached to the
ignition circuit and receive battery voltage whenever the switch is
ON.  The coil that pulls the needle towards F (call this the F coil) is
grounded at the instrument panel and thus applies a constant magnetic
force.  The coil that pulls the needle towards E (call this the E coil) has
more windings for greater magnetic force and is grounded through the
variable resistor attached to the fuel tank float.  When the fuel tank is
full, the resistance in the sender is high (either 30 or 90 ohms), which
reduces current and magnetic strength in the E coil; allowing the F coil to
pull the needle to F.  When the fuel float is at the bottom of the tank the
sender is at 0 ohms, the E coil develops full current and enough magnetic
force to overcome the force of the F coil; pulling the needle over to
E.  When the ignition switch is turned off both coils lose power, magnetic
force drops, and the needle remains in the position it is at.

If there is a break in the wiring to the tank sender or failure of the tank
sender that creates an open circuit, the F coil will not be balanced by any
magnetic force from the E coil and the needle will swing to the right way
beyond the F mark on the gauge.  If there is a loss of ground on the dash,
the needle may swing way to the left or operate erratically with the
operation of the dash lights, turn indicators, etc.

The instrument clusters on our 2001 Dodge, 2004 Jeep and my wife's 2003
Audi are all of the digital electronic type.  Apparently they use small
stepper motors to position the gauge needles based on digital input from
one of the vehicle's onboard computer(s).

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI