<VV> Cylinder assemblies vs Pistons/rings + rebore

moonpie8n at comcast.net moonpie8n at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 15:23:08 EST 2011

  Larry's  Corvair  rebores  them  for  around  150$, which  is  cheap , ... considering  SET-UP  time. The  problem  is , ...... where  to  get  good  rings. GM  cylinders  were  supplied  with  chrome  rings  which  stand  up  very  well  to  the  heat  of  everyday  driving. Many  suppliers  only  stock  steel  or  cast  iron  rings  for  Corvair. Grant  rings  are  junk , ...... the  rest  are  really  hard  to  find [like  speed - pro / sealed  power  Kromex]. IF  cost  is  no  object, ... get  Total  seal , and  get  your  cylinders  bored, otherwise  just  get  a  set  of  cylinders  and  piston/rings  from  Clarks...... WE  made  the  most  power  [on  the  dyno]  with  cast  iron  rings , but , they  don't  last  long [One  Season - 14 - 16, ... 5 mile  heats  at  wide  open  throttle]