<VV> Cylinder assemblies vs Pistons/rings + rebore

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Feb 12 21:52:18 EST 2011

At 21:22 2/11/2011 -0500, Karl Haakonsen wrote:

>Clark's has several different types of rings. I was thinking of going with
>the Hastings moly rings. I guess it would make sense to get the
>cylinders/pistons/rings as a fitted set given the low cost difference of
>the cylinders vs. the pistons/rings a-la-carte.

If properly set up and cared for, moly rings should last 100k+ miles.  How
much do you plan to drive the car?

>I can't remember if I asked this question before, but Clark's
>sells?several different types of pistons as well. Cast, "Hi Tech" cast,
>forged and hyper-eutectic. I'm looking for street use of a 110/PG and want
>something that holds up well, but don't need uber performance. I was
>thinking of the "high tech" pistons as Clark's catalog pushes them for
>that usage. Don't know if anyone here has experience with this as well.

Remember that even the lowest price standard cast pistons from Clark's (or
any other vender) will have way better metallurgy, casting technology, and
finish machining than the original GM pistons or anything else commonly
available back in the 1960's. Based on your description of intended use, I
would think that the standard cast would be perfectly adequate.

As a matter of comparison, I am having Ken Hand install Clark's High Tech
pistons in the rebuild of the 110 engine for our '65 Greenbrier.  The
factors for considering this upgrade from the standard cast are; 1) its an
FC engine--higher load & hotter running, 2) I plan to put 5000+ miles/year
on the car, hopefully for 20+ more years, 3) I plan to do a fair amount of
autocross/rally competition with this vehicle.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI