<VV> Cylinder assemblies vs Pistons/rings + rebore/How Long Do They Last

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 11:09:52 EST 2011

Dale brings up an old question on engine life.  How long do they last
especially considering the '60s gearing and the fact that, when they were still
"new", our Corvairs were keeping up with bigger, higher torque engines.
The original cast pistons with (I believe cast iron rings) lasted a long time
if  the engines were kept tuned and the carbs were clean and synced.  My
one  and only new '68 110 4spd blew a head gasket at about 127,000 miles, but
kept  going after repairs and our '68 110 PG went between 190,000-200,000
miles  with one head change (we were the second owners).  Neither had oil
burning  problems (blue smoke on de-acceleration or startup--though they burned
more oil  than when they were younger of course).  So if a relatively well
kept  engine with cast pistons and cast iron rings can go 150K+ shouldn't
forged  pistons with chrome or moly rings go even longer than that?

Bob Hall
(With one completely rebuilt 110 engine with cast pistons and cast iron
rings in the basement waiting for time to install)

In a message dated 2/12/2011 9:53:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,