<VV> Corvair lowering

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:37:35 EST 2011

In order to keep the swing-axle suspension level on a lowered car, you will
need to raise the mounting points for the powertrain up in the body the same
amount that you lowered the car. Basically, you need to keep the output
shaft from the transaxle at the same height as the center of the wheel. That
will make the shaft level. BTW - tilting the top of the tire inboard a
little bit is good (like what happens when you lower an early vair). Keeps
the wheel from jacking, and gives a better contact patch when cornering
hard. I assume you just don't want an extreme case.

Moving the rear point is easy, just drill holes higher up on flat section of
body where the motor mount plate bolts to the body. Be sure to reinforce the
new mount point where the plate bolts to the body.

The front portion will be more difficult - I think the easiest would be to
cut out the entire section where the "horse collar" transmission mount goes,
and weld in a recessed area the same shape. I don't know how far you can go
that direction before you run into interference problems - you may need to
cut out a large area, and taper the level of the floorpan back to the engine
bay.

Lonny