<VV> Too Much Oil In Engine?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 23:13:50 EST 2011

No more needs to be said on the foaming, that is pretty much what
happens. Its easy to tell if the oil if foaming by looking on the
dipstick. It will be a lighter tan color and full or air.

If you are doing a fresh and dry engine, the engine takes about 6
quarts to fill up the oil passages and the oil cooler and read about
full on the dipstick. Oil changes are at the 4.5 to 5 quart level. I
remember on my old corvair that if I fill it clear to full at a oil
change, it will tend to use the first 1/4 to 1/2 quart then quit using
oil. When full there may already be a bit too much for the rotating
parts and too much stays up in the cylinders, etc, and gets past the
rings.
Other traditional flat air cooled engines, the Continental and
Lycoming aircraft engines, do the same thing. The Continental had the
cam low like the Corvair, the Lycoming had the cam high on top. Must
be a design thing. Mark Durham