<VV> EM v LM shifters (some humor)

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 15:32:50 EST 2011

Yes, the 66-69 trannies are somewhat stiffer shifting than the 61-65 4
speeds. However, there is some hope for the 66-69 crowd!!

When I rebuilt mine, I cleaned up EVERYTHING internally, shift
mechanism wise. I polished the rails, I especially polished the detent
ramps, and honed all the bores. Typically, these operations take off
less than 0.0001" so, clearances should not be a problem.

Anyway, the thing was a LOT smoother afterwards! Although not quite as
slick as the 61-65 units, it was pretty darn close, and a true joy to
shift.  I attribute the rest of the friction to the far larger sliders
and syncro assemblies, which, on the bench, took a fair bit more push
to slide than the earlies anyway. Such is the price for a stronger
tranny!

John Roberts