<VV> Spyder Thermister

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Feb 17 00:44:15 EST 2011

In a word, NO.

The power that feeds the coil is also the power that feeds the gage, but
the thermistor side of the gage just goes to the thermistor, not the
ignition coil. You need a 64 shop manual supplement, figure 8-32 and
8-33 show this wiring.

The R terminal of the starter should only connect to two things, the +
ignition coil terminal, and the in harness resistor. The other end of
the in harness resistor (1.8 or so ohms) connects (through the body
harness, etc) to the dash wiring, i.e. the other side of the temperature
gage noted in the first paragraph.

The silicon rectifier is to allow the buzzer to only operate with high
temperature, not also with low oil pressure, while allowing the lamp to
light with both low oil pressure and high temperature. This diode is the
unmarked rectangle on figure 8-32 in the shop manual. About center, two
inches up from bottom connected between a 20 awg dark green and 20 awg
dark blue wires.

As to the direct 12 volts to the coil, what does the Igniter literature say?

Does the thermistor change resistance with temperature?

BTW, the buzzer just works with the temperature snap switch (sender) in
the right head. No connection to the thermistor in the left head, except
the same 12 volt source feeds both circuits, along with many other
unrelated circuits.

Frank DuVal