<VV> original GM Corvair Lifters - resurfacing

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 20:41:21 EST 2011

At 12:02 AM 2/20/2011, Mark Durham wrote:
>Tony, once the lifter base has been resurfaced, its like a new lifter,
>so there isn't a mismatch pattern that can take out the cam. Like
>rings, they "wear in" to the cam and as long as that happens in a good
>way they should last a long time.

Goes without saying.  :)

>But as a lifter wears, so does the
>cam and older cams may have lost their correct profile and may quit
>turning the lifter on each lift cycle, A line forms, and the lifter
>and cam quickly wear from there.

If the cam is worn that bad and won't spin the lifter, it's unlikely
any lifter is going to work out for any great length of time.

The point of refacing a lifter is to save a still-functional camshaft.

>Another consideration is the reduced lenght with a lifter that has
>been resurfaced.

Nope, NOT a consideration at all.   If you have to remove enough
metal from the face of that lifter to affect valve geometry, THAT
lifter is long since shot to Hell.

Refacing a lifter means you take off only enough to remove the polish
and insure the face is linear across its dimension.  If you have to
take off as much as, for instance ~.003, that's too much, IMHO.  You
can tell the difference easily once the lifter face is lapped... just
by checking it occasionally, which you should be doing constantly in
the first place.

>It will change valve train geometry so when you put
>that back together check the geometry.

A lifter that's around .003 shorter than it used to be is not going
to have an affect on valve geometry.   If you dismantle most engines
made in that era and measure tolerances, I'm willing to bet that
you'll find wider variations than that in NEW stuff... and they all
seemed to work out pretty well.  Besides:

Take a look at the tips of the valve stems.   Then the rockers.  AND
the rocker balls.  Look at the wear on the contact surfaces.  There's
a lot of engines out there running just fine with MUCH more wear on
valve stems and rocker faces than you'd EVER take off a still-useable
lifter face to clean it up.  Tolerances widen and loosen in lots of
places along the way... and sometimes those odd tolerances were there
from the beginning.

My favorite was a V8 block that originally came out of Dearborn that
was sent to the machine shop for freshening up during a rebuild which
had a FACTORY deck height variation on ONE bank (just one, the other
bank was fine) from front to rear of...  (wait for it)  -=[ .102" ]=-
and before the rebuild it had run pretty well for all of its 30+
years.   I'd been curious about how well its intake had sealed but
evidently there hadn't been any issues.   All it was doing wrong was
smoking a bit, still had been running fairly well before the rebuild.

>You may have to get longer push
>rods so the rocker pushes straight down on the valve stem.

Again, if the lifter was THAT worn so as to throw the geometry off,
it went into the trash.   And it would have had to be pretty worn to
cause that kind of trouble... enough that refacing it wouldn't help
anything.   Again, common sense dictated the terms.

tony..