<VV> Autocrossing a PG

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Feb 24 12:59:09 EST 2011

Smitty Says;  Frank DuVal said it well that a PG is a pretty good match for
a stick in an autocross.  James says, well put the same rear in it and see
what happens.  He may well get his butt kicked anyway.  I autocrossed my
wagon for years in pure stock and did quite well (Before my reflexes started
doing me in a few years ago).  I beat plenty of 3:89 cars and plenty of 3:27
cars.  A good number of them were thinly disguised modifieds.  There was one
stick shift which used to beat me regularly and I looked forward to tangling
with him.  Even after a young companion of his, and I, had a long
conversation about how his car was preped for the track.  The kid had no
idea who I was.
Two things come to mind about racing a PG.  One is that if you left foot
brake, your feet are already where you want them while jumping back and
forth between power on and power off.  Add that to the fact that you have to
make no gear changes on your way to 50 mph and you are gaining by at least a
half second per lap.  My record from just a few years back speaks for
itself.