<VV> Oil For Vairs

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Thu Feb 24 14:50:45 EST 2011

I'll have to disagree with that.  Just because an oil meets a minimum standard doesn't mean another that passes the same test isn't much better.  I will agree that the price you pay may or may not reflect the actual quality of the oil.  I've read lots of tests and one critical factor is how long the oil will hold up.  One test I read took 4 oils and ran them in the same vehicle (V4 Honda) over the same route with roughly the same temperatures.  They drained the oils at 750 miles (it may have been 1500) and tested them.  They were planning to put them back in and run another amount of miles and test again but 3 of the 4 weren't deemed good enough to keep going.  The oils were Mobil1, Honda synthetic, Castrol and I believe Golden Spectro.  The Mobil1 was at 77% of it's original viscosity and was in far better shape than any of the others.  I don't recall the specs on the oils.
Joel McGregor