<VV> Movie stars-of CARS 2 - (no Corvair)

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Sat Feb 26 11:05:08 EST 2011

Just wanted to give you a little piece of my history on this one.  We had a
red 78 Gremlin X with white stripes and black interior in the garage that my
father bought new for the first 9 or so years of my life.. the car arrived
before I did as I was born in 80.  Near the end of this time period we
picked up a second Gremlin.. in yellow!!! but not an X.  Both had the 6
banger.

Well in around 89 while sitting at a stop sign in the red car with my father
(I was sitting in the back on top of the folded down seat) my father spotted
a tri-axle dump speeding toward the intersection which at the moment was
clogged with cars.  He reacted quickly and backed about 30 feet back before
we got hit broadside.  The driver knew he couldn't possibly stop and was
going to slam into the cars in the intersection so he left the road
intentionally, accross someones front yard, through the wall of shrubbery,
and came flying out of the shrubs 15 feet to our left.  This was a tri-axle
dump with a full load later estimated to have been traveling at about 70mph
by the police investigators.

Apparently we spun quite a few times before coming to a rest against an
embankment but it all happened so fast I really couldn't say... all I know
is when it was over I was still sitting on the package tray gripping the
passenger seat, completely unscathed.  My father (the hit was driver side)
was just bruised up and had some cuts from the glass shattering.  That was
the end of our Gremlin X =(.

Also of note we never did get any insurance payout.  The dump truck belonged
to a company that had gone out of business roughly a week before the
incident and was consequently uninsured.  The driver was supposedly
completely unaware that the truck had no insurance.. it was a fine legal
mess and my father dropped the case before he racked up any crazy legal
costs.

A couple years later my father gave the yellow Gremlin to my aunt who was in
need of a car as a gift and picked up something he liked better (he was
always a Cadillac guy).  My aunt destroyed the car within a couple years.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66' Corsa 140 coupe
63' Monza PG (winter driver)
65' Corsa 140 coupe  (under construction)