<VV> a different oil conversation

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 01:42:29 EST 2011

Take a good look at a camshaft. Each lobe opens a valve by pushing the
lifter which pushes the pushrod which pushes the rocker, which presses
on the valve - almost a half inch in a steep ramp up and a steep down
hill back to zero lash. The lobes will go flat so there is no ramp up
so the valve will not open, and when the taper goes away on the lifter
and cam lobe, the lifter stops turning and the cam quickly wears a
line across the lifter face, and metal starts to destroy your engine
as it agressively wears off the lobe until the lifter fails.  Not a
pretty sight. I just had to replace my crankshaft and oil pump due to
this very situation in my 62, well, I had to overhaul the whole
thing..... Mark Durham