<VV> a different oil conversation

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Sun Feb 27 12:45:34 EST 2011

I agree that I wouldn't risk it on an engine I had any significant
investment in or count on for transportation.  The comment I made was that
if you have an original GM cam and original GM lifters there "should" be no
risk.  The removal of lead from the gasoline should balance out the
reduction in ZDDP (and yes, that's a lot of "should"!!)

This is based on reports I read online (and everything on the internet it
factual right? =P) that stated the cam/lifter wear problem has only been
noted on vehicles with replacement cams or at least low quality replacement
lifters.. this includes replacement cams with stock specs. The difference is
likely in the metallurgy, though big cams are more vulnerable.  They also
mentioned that the only lifters they trust without question (at least as of
a few years ago, things have improved a bit) are GM lifters.  They said the
only way to be sure any other brand lifter isn't an import with questionable
metallurgy is to disassemble a lifter and check the markings.

Of course none of this is for certain, just third hand evaluation of
incomplete data.  Has anyone here seen a cam wipe out on an unaltered
original engine that wasn't badly abused?  I'd say it's fairly likely not.
Probably any instances where this has been seen involved badly neglected oil
changes or running out of oil.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66' Corsa 140 coupe
63' Monza PG (winter driver)
65' Corsa 140 coupe  (under construction)