<VV> Best 2-Carb Setup - some results

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 14:26:51 EST 2011

Thanks to everyone who replied. These are great suggestions. I think that my best approach for now will be to replace the 4-barrel with two modified HVs on modified 110 heads. The opinions were wonderfully mixed (as our organization seems to be), but there was a strong concensus for modified HVs on modified 110 heads. Most of the reasoning seemed to be that the 110 heads would be better for low to mid range because (I'm extrapolating here) the smaller manifold with flow better in these ranges. Some improvement can be achieved through using 140 valves in the 110 heads. So, here's kind of a break down of the the opinions:

HVs, stock: 3
HVs, modified: 5
Progressive 2-barrel: 3
SUs: 1
110 heads: 3
140 heads: 2
140 valves in 110 heads: 2

What's next? Well, I need to get a set of 110 heads that I will have modified by adding 140 valves, cleaning up the ports, and 140 exhaust manifolds (if money permits slant exhaust and headers). Carbs modified by enlarging slightly, relocating jets, and adding turn cutout tubes.

Hopefully, I will have this setup finished by the convention in Denver.

Joe