<VV> tires

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 4 20:24:44 EST 2011

My Corolla (not a Corvair, sadly) weighs only a bit less than a Corvair and
I'm running on 175/75 14's.  But the problem as I see it, is threefold:

1.  The tires need to be able to bear the load at the same pressure as is
listed in the manual (approx 15 psi front and 26 rear cold.)
2.  Most tires are rated at 32 or 35 psi these days so you're going to lose
about half your rating in front and 1/4 or so in the rear.
3.  Also needed is tread width similar to the original tires for handling
purposes so that the handling geometry works out the same.

There's also a fourth consideration.  The Corvair was built in a bias-ply
age.   All of the numbers were calculated on that basis.  Has anyone come up
with a 'table of adjustments' for the Corvair vis-à-vis radial tires.  I had
a number of cars in the transition period that could be either/or and there
were different adjustments for even the front alignment based on whether you
were using bias ply or radials.  If you ran bias plys with the radial
numbers or vice versa, you got a lot of extra edge wear and handling was a
bit off.

Charles Fregeau
Missing my 62 700 Club Coupe.