<VV> Cooling Question

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 21:56:22 EST 2011

" ...I've noticed in some photos of Corvairs with A/C, that the  owners
installed a couple of auxillary fans in front of the 1966-67 style
condenser....Anyone have experience with this? ... Thanks!...Bill Hershkowitz 69  Monza
Coupe 110 PG A/C..."

Bill... I have said electric puller fans on my 67 factory air coupe.  When
I converted the system to 134a, keeping the stock condenser, the fans
became a necessity (although, properly controlled, they would certainly  also
help an R-12 system). With 134a, you either need more condenser, or more  air
flow. The fans are relayed-controlled and wired in series to run 1/2  speed
whenever the compressor clutch is energized. Then, as head pressure rises,  a
head pressure switch activates another relay which changes the  wiring to
parallel, allowing the fans to ramp up to full speed. As long as  the AC
clutch is energized, the fans will switch back-n-forth between high  and low
speed based upon the change in head pressure. This system has been  in
operation for about 5-years. Works extremely well, and I live in hot  Florida.  See
some pictures here: _http://rides.webshots.com/album/58895182BNCYAp_
(http://rides.webshots.com/album/58895182BNCYAp)   .

Can't speak directly to the improvement in engine temps...didn't test
before and after...but probably helps.

Mike Mauro
1967, PG, 3:27, 110, with Factory AC (modified to  134a)