<VV> dual M/C - Test suggested

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Jan 8 21:10:29 EST 2011

At 12:00 1/08/2011 -0500, Bill Strickland wrote:

>David has done us all some valuable testing here -- what we need is some
>one with a  stock oem Corvair Dual MC setup to do the same and report
>their results.

 > snip <

I picked up our '67 Monza 4-door back in July after negotiating a deal with
a Craigslist seller.  The car had sat for about 4-5 years, but after a
quick check over, a fresh battery and a snort of ether, it fired right up
and ran at a high idle.  The whole idea of getting the car started was to
avoid hand winching the car up onto my trailer in 75F dew point weather.  I
pulled the car out of the PO's driveway onto the street, preparing to line
it up with the trailer.  The brake pedal went soft almost all the way to
the floor.  The last 1-1/2" of travel gave me weak braking action, but not
enough to stop completely with the engine near stall speed of the PG.  The
hand brake was more effective for stopping the car.  A quick look into the
master cylinder showed the front reservoir (which connects to the rear
brakes) to be empty.  I have since replaced the bad rear wheel cylinder
(and several lines) that allowed the fluid to leak out. Shame on me for not
checking this before moving the car, but my only intention was to simply
move the car, not drive it.

Verdict: On a stock '67 brake system with no fluid in the rear circuit
there was some, but not much braking action.  I would like to investigate
this further when I get the car out of storage and rebuild the front brakes.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI