<VV> Dual MC Rod Adjustment

Lon Anderson lonzovair at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 01:23:53 EST 2011

Byron, (and others)...
When I installed the dual reservoir master cylinder on my 1964 700 last year, I had the complete set up I'd pulled out of a 67 that I'd parted out back in the 1990s, including the stamped steel bracket, block, and all pipes in the trunk.
When I mounted my MC I removed the bracket from the block (since the ridge around the EM MC makes it not fit without mods), and attached a rebuilt MC (#1515 I think, same as 67 Camaro w/4 wheel drums)... I've always found it easier to bleed on the MC on the car (and I was installing new pipes & block anyway), so once I bolted it up I checked the "throw" of the brake pedal... crawled under the dash and watched to make sure nothing was blocking the path. If the MC stops before hitting the floor board/carpet/rubber mat, all is well... if it doesn't stop, the rod needs to be lengthened (or look for cracked pedal brackets - it can happen, ya know)... (and do this test with your hand, not foot, because the MC has no fluid to build up pressure just yet)... once you fill it, bleed the air out at all wheel cylinders (I use a large glass Coke bottle with a rubber hose about 3 ft long that will fit the bleeder screw, and a coat hanger wrapped around the bottle that will let it hang on the suspension/control arm, spring-whatever...
Once the brakes are bled, check again to make sure the rod is not putting pressure on the MC thereby causing the fluid to expand the wheel cylinders, locking up or making a wheel drag... at that point, if it is, you then "shorten" the rod...
Sounds like a lot of work, but brakes are nothing to fool with.
This was the first EM I'd done this mod to... of the 3 LMs I've done it to I had to shorten the rod one, and later found the pedal bracket cracked... allowing my size 16 foot to push it further than needed.
Just my 2 cents... YMMV.
Later,
Lonzo