<VV> Buying horsepower; loving torque: Who said it? No Corvair

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Mon Jan 10 23:30:49 EST 2011

There's an oft-quoted yet unattributed maxim in the auto industry, something to the effect that people, or at least Americans, buy horsepower but love torque.  I was always under the impression that this quote originated with a GM auto executive at the height of the horsepower wars in the '50s or'60s, but my internet sleuthing hasn't turned up anything solid.  Anyone out there know the answer?

~Bill Stanley