<VV> bi-metallic coil

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Jan 15 20:22:34 EST 2011

"...Is it?  I've always called it that, but just last week my son
(currently enrolled in A&P mechanics) said it is not. He said it is a single  metal
and that a bi-metallic would be used when the desire is to produce a
current. I always thought is was two metals - which would expand and contract at
different rates..."

Hey Jr... The "bi-metal" of which your son speaks is a thermocouple. A
thermocouple is typically composed of two different metal wires which are
twisted together, and, when heated, produce a current. Thermocouples are
generally used as temperature sensors, as they produce very predictable and
accurate outputs. See more here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple .  A
bi-metal coil, on the  other hand, is a mechanical device. Dissimilar metals
are fused in a strip, and  the strip is then coiled. The coil, when heated,
unwinds, creating a  movement for linkages, mercury bulbs, or other driven
devices. See more  here: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimetallic_strip_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimetallic_strip)   .

And that's all I have to say about that.

Cheers!

Mike Mauro

In a message dated 1/15/2011 8:07:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Message:  2