<VV> Rear-wheel steering (was transverse engine)

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 20:08:18 EST 2011

GM offered rear-wheel steering on light-duty Chevy and GMC pickups in the early
'00s. The axle and steering were made by Eaton (I think) and worked in reverse
and up to about 30 mph forward. It improved low-speed maneuverability
considerably (like when making sharp turns while slipping into and out of
parking spaces), and helped when backing trailers. I tried it at a GM press
event and was impressed.

They asked me what I'd pay for it if I were buying a truck and I said $1,500.
That wasn't enough, I guess, because it became a $2,000 or $2,500 option, but
didn't sell well and was discontinued.

--Tom in Ohio

Rear wheel steering came, and went. My 300ZXTT has it as well, also discontinued
on any successive Nissan models. Mazda had it on the 626s, also dumped it. Neat
idea, but for the VERY small improvement in handling, it wasn't worth the
nontrivial cost. 84-87 Fieros could have had a rack put in the back, I don't
know of anyone who tried it.

Now, for parking... Hmmm... If you had a left-center-right control that only
kicked in at or near full lock (and most definitely disabled anything above
parking lot speeds!) could make parking easier. Maybe...

John Roberts