<VV> EM speedo driven gear squeal

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Mon Jan 24 15:20:52 EST 2011

I have one EM that makes a continual grinding noise both at the
differential and where the cable connects to the
speedo.  Unfortunately, this is the ONLY speedo I have ever had on
any Corvair (and I have had dozens) that is rock-solid.  No wiggle,
jump, or anything.  I have done as others suggested, removing and
cleaning and I have tried graphite lube (the best I think for this
job), WD-40, light grease, bearing grease ... nothing I do stops the
jumping.  So I just ignore the little noise this one makes, small
price for a perfectly working setup!  E

At 07:40 AM 1/23/2011, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:15:59 -0500 (EST)
>From: BobHelt at aol.com
>Subject: Re: <VV> EM speedo driven gear squeal
>To: Markpowhatan at aol.com, virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

>In a message dated 1/22/2011 10:33:48 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
>Markpowhatan at aol.com writes:
>
>Every  couple hundred miles my 63 speedometer driven gear on the
>differential begins to squeal loudly.
>Mark,
>Are you sure that it is the driven gear that is making noise? it would seem
>  that a noise could be coming from a lot of different locations. Yes it is
>lubed  by the diff oil. I suggest that you crawl under and remove the cable
>and then  remove the driven gear and take a look at it to see if you can see
>the  problem.

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.