<VV> Sealing the flexplate bolts

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jan 28 11:22:35 EST 2011

Two questions regarding replacing the flex plate on a late automatic.  The
'65 shop manual says "Apply sealer to end of crankshaft and install flywheel
or flex plate as indexed during disassembly."  It goes on to say ".install
bolts with sealer on bolt threads."

The first question regards the sealant.  I assume from the shop manual, you
are supposed to smear some across the entire bolting surface of the
crankshaft as well as applying some to the bolt threads.  True?  If so, any
recommendation as to what sealer to use?

Second question; we're likely to be replacing the flex plate with another
used one.  The shop manual excerpt above talks about them being indexed but
the only reference I can find is to mark the position of the clutch pressure
plate to the flywheel.  Does this apply in any way to the torque converter
flex plate?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Simpson

Group Corvair