<VV> Survivor cars, beaters, and...

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Jul 1 15:19:43 EDT 2011

The topic interests me.

At any car show, should there be a class offered for

"Survivor" cars, cars that remain essentially in their original state
and, while not perfect are well-preserved?

"Daily Drivers," which could be anything -- junk, nice, or damn nice?

"Beaters," cars that exist for no purpose other than transportation?

Regarding "survivors," I see the appeal.  Survivors should not be simply
any unrestored car, but cars that have survived in their original state
and in flawed but generally nice condition.

"Daily Driver" is, I think, too catch-all a category.  You could be
driving a near-show car daily, or a junker daily.

And "Beaters," well, at a car show they turn me off.  I have been to
some car shows where one or more entrant has a rolling piece of crap but
is proud of the fact that it is still a running driving car.  I'm sorry,
but at the core of the hobby is the preservation of the vehicles, and
preservation mean more than making it run while the cosmetics rot away.

Now, persons with long memories will remember that I once owned the
Corvair that recorded the lowest score ever in a CORSA Convention
Concours.  Was it inappropriate for me to enter that car -- a
ratty-looking Greenbrier that I had driven coast-to-coast for the
Convention -- in the Concours?  Perhaps.  At the time there was no "car
display" event, and I wanted to show off my having made the trip.  In my
defense I later restored that van and showed it at a subsequent Convention.

But for there to be any classes for "survivors" et al there needs to be
a set of standards that guide eligibility, just as classification rules
determine the appropriate classes for fully-restored cars.  So:  Should
there be such classes?  If so, what should the standards be?

--Bob Marlow