<VV> Rust Free Corvair Body or Car for sale - Northern California

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 18:56:54 EDT 2011

Someone near me in mid-California has a car for sale. I went and looked at
the car, as have a couple of others in our club. It is a project that none
of us  (including the owner) are feeling able to complete. The current owner
took this  car somewhat apart (not fully) a few years ago and did much of
the work towards  restoration. The car is a 65 Corsa Convertible, 140HP motor
4-speed. It has been  a California car probably all it's life, at least the
last 40 years! The car had  no "rust" as most of you know it. It had a
classic California windshield  drain-hole rot and the section just ahead of the
windshield was properly  repaired. There is no other rust on the car. The
car was repainted the original  - as far as I could tell -1965 Butternut
yellow. But the doors are still  off the car, door glass and windshield removed
(but included). The car is  sitting on four, one-year-old, 13" tires
(185/70-13) and is movable, but not  drivable.The motor was completely rebuilt,
TRWs, new stockish cam etc. and has  run. It could run with a little attachment
work. It appears to have a  flywheel problem. The motor turns over but
"spare-ingly" - to coin a phrase, I  think the ring gear or the flywheel rivets
are at fault. This is hearsay, I did  not hear it crank or run. There is
virtually no interior, I believe a pair of  front seats are there in the
rafters, perhaps with door panels. No rust on the  floorboards - that I could see
clearly! The top/mechanism has been removed but  needs to have the mechanism
thoroughly cleaned and the actual top and pads  replaced. A few items might
need to be painted. There will be a bit more paint  to do, though, since in
a recent earthquake, a small item fell against the left  side rear quarter,
adding some small dents on the new paint - ouch. Like  most of these
semi-completed cars, there is a stack of Clark's Corvair "parts"  along with it.

As I said, the car is movable, and could "probably" be prepped for shipment
 - BUT - I don't think the owner would be interested in too much boxing of
stuff.  I think he really wants someone to show up with a truck and car
trailer and take  it all away. He is asking $2500. I am reasonably sure the
body/paint work cost  more than that, but there is a lot of assembly work to do,
and other  parts/stuff ($$) needed to complete. Call me or E-mail me for
more  information. The big irony for ME in this, is that this Corvair is an
absolute  duplicate of my first Corvair. Color, interior, equipment - exactly.
(I checked  the original California Black plates, it's not my car) So I was
tempted,  and a few years ago I would have snapped it up. I might be
interested in some  kind of "Partial" deal. If you are looking for a rust-free
late Convertible body  - This is it. And I would pull the powertrain, repair it
and use it. Let me  know if this  is a possibility.

Seth Emerson

(408) 247-2237    sethracer at aol.com