<VV> '64 Engine Interchangability

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:59:18 EDT 2011

Tom, for the most part, the engine basic dimensions stay the same for
all model years. There are differences in baffling for say 140 heads,
for the different sizes of oil coolers, EM vs LM and there are
differences in bell housings and how they fit the front seal on the
crank flange because the early and late cranks are a bit different on
that end.

So, you should be able  fit a LM engine into a EM if you choose to do so.

The cylinders for 65 and up are different, so you need to compensate
for that. I believe the block end is the same as a 64, but the top end
is a wider flange and requires machining the heads.

I just finished a overhaul of my 62 102 but converted it to a 64 110
by using 64 cylinders, pistons, a LM 8409 crank, and modified the case
to provide clearance for the added crank throw. I rebuilt the heads,
added a late model style Isky 270 cam, and had already converted to an
alternator by changing out to a LM oil filter adapter which has the
mounting for the alternator rather than a generator.

Gents, I think I am on track here, but there are others who have done
more conversions than my 1 and I have no LM expereince. I have read
Clark's catalogs in detail, however and watched the emails here.
Regards  Mark Durham