<VV> '64 Engine Interchangability

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jul 3 11:16:16 EDT 2011

At 07:46 PM 7/2/2011, Michael Kovacs wrote:
>  For the most part, yes. Others will chime in with a few if, and and buts. I
>assume you are still using a generator? I know the rear accessory
>package for a
>EM has a different one than the alternator LM to mount the generator on. As a
>matter of fact I have a '61 with a 110 hp '64 truck engine in it.
>

>  Keep asking questions.
>
>  MIKE KOVACS

Mike is right.   Just about the only difference you will see is the
Gen/Alt mount and that's not a big issue.   If you want to update,
you can convert to an alternator for the car with little trouble
(done this a number of times) and only a purist would ever
notice.   Or, just keep the generator and swap that rear top housing
if you want to remain original.

My '60 4-door now has a '66 110 in it, bolted in without a hitch
although to keep the alternator working with the '60 wire harness
remaining intact required a bit of trickery to energize the
alternator field using an alternator regulator (again without having
to cut or modify the wire harness).   I home-brewed a 2nd "regulator"
(actually a triggered switching circuit) using two transistors and a
couple of capacitors and resistors, worked fine.   Interestingly
enough, the '61-up cars are easy to adapt to an alternator, more so
than a '60 anyway... without stringing wires around.

For all intents and purposes, a '64 engine is the same as a '65
engine except for the cylinder-to-head spigot size (which is the same
as the '60-63 140 and 145 inch engines); the '65 engine has a larger
diameter spigot size to allow a wider head gasket.

In fact. I highly recommend the uprated engine as a swap for an early
model driver Corvair.  Mileage won't suffer much at all and the extra
torque makes the car more tractable in city driving.   It certainly
will wake up a '60 that had an 80hp 140 engine in it.

tony..