<VV> Suspension upgrade and maintenance

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 5 08:33:16 EDT 2011

I'm thinking about updating and doing maintenance work on  my
suspension just for the general improvement in the funability of
driving and because I'll be participating in my first true autocross
in October.  I read the improvements that John Fitch made to the Fitch
Corvairs in the March Communique  which seemed like a good place to
start.  The article mentioned that he shortened the control arms to
15:1 (Clarks C5118 ? and C8235, 36, or C11735 [seems better as it has
both rubber and nylon], Progressive rate auxiliary rubber bumpers (?)
[could not locate these, nor do I know exactly what they are], a
steering damper (C1460), adjustable shocks (C2840,41), and "tinkering"
with the front caster setting (ideas where to start ?), adjusting the
camber front and rear (again, no starting specs provided), aluminum
wheels (would like some "coke bottle" retros that will not set me back
too much $$$ and allow me to go to 15" in a wider track tires while
not making the speedometer useless as I do a lot of street driving.  I
purchased a set of the short steering control arms - Clarks (maybe
Lon's) - bought at the annual NTCA auction.  All of this looks like
about $1500 + to do, but hey, if I can go "yeah" that's the ticket
while I'm getting the most skidpad g's the car will allow, perhaps it
will be money well spent.

Stephen Upham
'65 Monza hardtop 110 PG