<VV> 5997 and Corvairvprices

oabwdb at comcast.net oabwdb at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 07:00:08 EDT 2011

I appreciate the kind pms I have gotten. This is a response to the following quote from one " I thin k you might have every reason to take this personally, as I would if incorrect information had been posted about something that I was doing. Your points are well taken, and are somewhat eye opening for the majority of this group. While you do not appear to be a collector, but more of a "end-user" of these cars, some of the prices you are asking would make it appear otherwise. Appearances are hard to dispute in this information age."

I do not know what your definition of a collector is but I have owned and collected Corvairs since 1976 and at one time had 35. I have been a member of Corsa since 1978 and been a board member and past president. I just do not collect junk. I have owned some pretty incredible cars over the years and when I grow tired of them I move on and find something else. I have had a 1969 Chevelle SS, 1969 GTO Judge, 1963 Pontiac Lemans, 1966 Pontiac 2+2 4 speed 421 ho convertible and a very special 1962 prototype GM Show Car 1962 Spyder to name a few. This is a perfect example why Corvairs have had a hard time in catching on as collector cars and really drive the true value of these cars down. Also this is why their reputation struggles to improve. It is sad but it is mainly the fault of a majority of the Corvair and Corsa members who still think it is a cheap car. That is why the typical Corsa member will not pay that kind of price I got for my Spyder show car. Corvair prices are starting to increase but not due to what Corsa members are paying but more from outside collectors. I put some work into 5997 and have enjoyed it but have some fear really driving it due to its historical significance. I am not in the car business and it is just that I have been blessed to have been able to take my car hobby to some incredible extremes. Some of my cars I have personally restored to senior division levels doing all the work myself. I am burned out on concours and enjoy driving them and road putting my Yenko on the track and nostalgia drag racing my 63 Pontiac. Believe me you never make a profit on a Corvair with the blood sweat and tears you put into one much less any collector car. best wishes, Allen Bristow

We are also not end users or should not be as we really just care takers of the cars for the next person to enjoy as the cars will probably if taken care of will last longer than we will. Just my opinion.