<VV> 5997 and Corvairvprices

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Jul 6 10:40:48 EDT 2011

Allen is a friend of mine too.  He does some amazing Bondo work, and has
owned some very nice cars in the 23 years I've known him.  My comments
are no shot at Allen or anyone in particular.  It's the market, spoiled
rotten by the Barrett-Jackson Auctions.  The bubble broke when the
markets took a dive.  Expected retails dropped over 100% at the
beginning, and are only inching up slowly.  Those 200K COPO Camaros
bought in 07 are now those 115K COPO Camaros.

Their whole system is set up to exploit their profit, not to see the
cars sold for a fair price.  Did you know after you pay your 350.00 to
get into the bidders area (it costs 50 to just watch), all the booze is
free?   So what you get in many cases is  drunk millionaires playing
chicken with their money.

Corvair Prices have always been low.  In 1990, a very nice 64 CVT went
for 5K.  That was crazy low---at the time out of my range, but still I
saw it as low.  In todays dollars, I have about 15K in my Monza, and
we're still putting in the interior.  I MIGHT be able to get that, but
I'm not interested in selling.  I COULD ask 20K, but I don't think I
could get that with the current state of the market.

I appraised my 62 Rampy for the person I bought it from, a friend in the
business.  It needs everything to be gone through, and a new
engine/transaxle, but I told him at the time---"If it was mine, I
wouldn't take less than 3K for it as it sits."   He got in a jamb and
had to sell it quick so I got it for 1500, HIS asking price to me.  Once
it's Running, I think it's worth about 7K.  Once I do a full mechanical
and cosmetic resto, I think it would be worth 20K, perhaps more by that
time.  Then again, I'm not interested in selling.  But I will have
stated value insurance on both of them.   A CORSA NC member who owns a
state farm franchise will help there.

End of the day, there is a difference between what you want to get for a
car and what the market will bear.  If Allen can get 30K plus for his
car, more power to him.  Matters not a whit to me.  I'm certainly NOT in
favor of seeing prices for corvairs remain static.  If I take the dirt
nap before my wife, I'd like to see her be able to sell my cars for a
premium price.

Hank