<VV> 5997 and Corvair prices

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 6 11:01:24 EDT 2011

Brent, I am not going to change your opinion, it is waht it is.

But I have to set the facts straight for others reading this exchange.

I know this car, and have followed it since Big Wave Dave offered it for
sale.

Fact one:

Allen paid more than $15000 for it!!!!!!!!!!  And why this is even in the
discussion, except for historical purposes, is beyond me. For historical
reference, I could have bought it for around 15K when Dave sold it, but I
didn't. Someone else did, and then later Allen bought it for quite a bit
more than that from Marvin Crook. I do not know what that owner (owners)
may have done to improve the car. Maybe you should complain about them!

Fact two:

Allen has invested in the car on at least three point that I am aware of.
The first being the addition of the telescoping steering column. This is no
small cost item. Probably over $1K to buy, paint and install.

Fact three:

Allen has repaired a front fender to better represent the 69 body. By that
I mean the front fender had been repaired way back in time, when they were
used cars, and the side marker light was just cut flat into the fender.
Allen has recreated the inset for the light. Repair and blending the paint
could be again as high as $1K if a shop did it.

Fact four:

Allen has found an original 69 seat part to replace a worn spot in the
upholstery. Not a large investment, but a very lucky one, from a fellow
club member. There are probably more little items, as I know Allen tinkers
all the time on his cars.

Fact five:

As with any non-restored car, there are flaws. Flaws from time, previous
owner tricks and repairs from a time when they were used cars with low
value. This is what sets the non-restored car apart from those high dollar
restorations. This gets back to the survivor discussion earlier. Different
meanings for different people. Allen is not offering this as a restored
car. There are things that the next owner may wish to improve during their
ownership. That is part of the fun of owning collector cars.

I just  wanted to set some facts straight. As I always say when people ask
me what to price a car for sale: "price it high, as you can always come
down if need be, but the buyer will not like it if you up the price on
them!"

Frank DuVal