<VV> Update on Clutch Noise and Question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 6 21:18:17 EDT 2011

Saucer shaped metal is an oil slinger. It is needed to sling the oil
away from the seal. Leave it on the crank.

Pulley does not sit flush with crankshaft. This is normal. Usually like
1/8+" or so. Enough room to set a washer in the opening. As long as you
torqued the bolt in place, and the distributor drive gear did not move (
it only happened to me once!), then everything is fine.

OK, so how do you torque the bolt when not dropping the engine? No way
to get a normal socket and torque wrench down there in that small
opening. Why, it's just large enough for the box end of a combination
wrench. I just rap upon a combination wrench with a 1 to 2 pound hammer!
The impact will tighten that bolt just fine.

Flame on!

Frank DuVal

ps great use of an inspection camera. I just bought one from Harbor
Freight for less than $100 (typical sale) [that means it will be on sale
forever]. It doesn't have the remote viewer like my coworkers does-he
bought his 6 months ago or so. They do have a more expensive model that
will go through a 14mm spark plug hole.