<VV> Value

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Fri Jul 8 08:38:53 EDT 2011

>Are they trying to keep the "market value" suppressed because they're afraid they wouldn't be able to "play" 'cause they couldn't "pay" >if prices actually got up to where they belong? Just wondering.
>I'll take my lumps when it's time to sell; but you can bet any future resto-mods I do won't be Corvairs. Fool me once, shame on you. >Fool me twice, shame on me!

Maybe the old timers just like the car for what it is: a fantastic classic car, not because of its investment potential.  You're looking at cars as revenue, they look at them as cars.  No one's keeping the "market value" suppressed.  The market value is by definition the value the market puts on it.  "up to where they belong?" - there is no intrinsic value for cars, only what someone (the market) is willing to pay.  The prices ARE where they "belong" - they're where buyers are willing to pay.  Corvairs and classic cars in general are discretionary purchases - no one HAS to buy one.  So people have the choice of what they're willing to spend to get one.  Since you see them as investments, you might not like where that price is but that's really your problem - not the old timer's reluctance to pay the prices you think they should.  Just as sellers have every right to ask as much for their cars as they want, buyers have every right to pay as little as they can.  That's the free market at work.  The very notion that a bunch of old time Corvair dudes get together in secret and say "so, what price are we setting Corvairs at this year?" is just ludicrous.

Since I first became re-interested in Corvairs I've known and been told that you always put more into restoring a Corvair than you'll ever get back out.  So either drive it as is (the Matt Nall method) or fix it up for your own pleasure and enjoy it (most everyone else's method).  You decided to ignore conventional wisdom and restore a Corvair for profit.  The only person who fooled you was you.