<VV> RE; Conventions

corvairs at pacifier.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Sat Jul 9 18:38:03 EDT 2011

Hi Gene (and the rest of you) - I attended over 130 Corsa conventions
including 23 Nationals, the last being Ventura in 2008. I'd love to go to
Denver in a few days but......I guess those days are long over. Too
expensive to travel. In fact I missed Buffalo because of open heart
surgery. The first I had missed since 1986.

I was in close contact with many of the convention organizers and host
clubs, being a major vendor (25-35 tables). Everyone does their best but
you have to give blame where blame is due - the "Hospitality Industry"
(hotels, tour buses, event facilities to name a few) are a frequently sad
excuse for their name.

Because an event like this has to be planned well ahead of time many of
these players know that when it comes down to the time of the event it's
too late for the "customer" to do anything about last minute
"inadequacies". I saw it happen over and over again.

Face the facts - As long as we continue to put on big conventions we will
continue to get played by the Hospitality Industry. Period.

And the poor fellow Corvair lovers who stick their necks out to make these
conventions happen usually get all the blame. Cut them some slack.

Everyone loves to attend a party - but few are willing to do the work to
put one on. I know my friends in Denver will do their best and I apologize
that I won't be there.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com