<VV> Engine cleaning help

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:02:56 EDT 2011

Aaron, if you have the motor out and in pieces, the best is to media
blast everything and get it really clean. then you can prime and paint
the parts that should be painted.
Aluminum cover and tin can be bead blasted/sandblasted/walnut shell,
whatever, just enough to get them clean.
Don't bead blast the oil seperator that goes on top before the cover,
just flush it out or dip it with the case and accessory housing. There
is too much chance of abrasive staying in there and may come out
later.
The case halves and accessory housing should be soaked in a engine
cleaner and steam cleaned. Remove the oil gallery plugs , oil pump and
pressure relief first. Make sure you put them back.
The crank bearing surfaces or gears should not be blasted. Polish
crank surfaces, check dimensions, if ok, oil them up and put the crank
in a protective wrap.
Check the cylinder bores to see if they are still in dimension. If
out, Clark's cylinders exchange are cheap. Don't blast the cylinder
walls. Protect the cylinder walls as you blast the fins.Just hone them
back to a nice cross hatch pattern.
Hand clean piston grooves, if reusing, then blast clean.
Heads can be blasted, make sure you don't blast down the valve guides
as you clean out the ports if you are not replacing them.

Once blasted/cleaned, Clean, clean, clean some more. Make sure you
wash the cylinder bores in hot soapy water at least three times to get
all the honing grit out, then oil up. I use a mixture of 50% STP and
50% 30 wt oil for an assembly lube. The stp is sticky enough it keeps
the oil where you put it.