<VV> Fwd: help - flooding

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Jul 14 08:14:47 EDT 2011

'Flooded' engines in the day of the Corvair was a common issue.  Holding the throttle wide open while cranking usually clears the plugs enough to get it to start.  After a minute or so, and lots of black smoke, the engine should start to run normally ... IF you have a stock points ignition.  However, a Petronix system, like other modern high voltage / low amperage systems, might not be able clear the spark plugs.  So, if excess gasoline is present one may have to manually clean the plugs first.  The cars of today, be they fuel injected or carbs, seldom if ever flood.  Many drivers have never even had to learn to start a flooded engine.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.