<VV> FC False Alarm Idiot Light??? NOT!!

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 21:19:16 EDT 2011

When I removed the lower shrouds, I noticed the thermostats were
frozen wide open. If they were failing, could they cause overheating?
I know they will stay open AFTER they fail. They were old not new
thermostats and they were working properly prior to the trip.

Bellows fail in the OPEN- EXTENDED  postion to guard against overheating!
I did the troubleshooting as suggested and the idiot lights are
working fine. I went ahead and replaced the oil pressure switch, heat
snap switch and installed an oil pressure gauge. The van drove
flawlessly to the Van National without any overheating issue. The oil
pressure never fell below 24psi. I still can't say what might have
gone wrong with the gen/fan light coming on in the first place. I do
have a spring loaded idler and it could have been slipping. It must
be a fluke so I'm not going to worry about it.

I should have mentioned I have 3:27 gears. I was on a very slight
incline on a very long hill doing 55mph when both idiot lights first
came on.

You were LUGGING it and got the head too hot!

So on my way to the Van National with the lower heat shrouds
removed, no overheating occurred and there were many steep and much
longer hills to climb on the interstate doing 60-65mph. It's obvious
the heat shrouds was the problem.
YES... in a way... your 3.27's are the real problem

Can the tall gears contribute to the overheating issue? I think I
might be lugging. Will going back to 3:89 gears make cooling more
efficient? I thought if the engine was revving higher you will get
more cooling air blowing and be safe putting the lower heat shroud
back on, am I right? Or will the engine get hotter? I am using 10w40
SL. Someone suggest I go to 15w40. What do you think?
No  the 3.89's will let the engine cool better under loads......but you need to shift DOWN to 3rd gear!

My long term goal is to tow a tiny vintage Scotty or Shasta when I
find one and I think a 3:89 would be the way to go. Kevin

YES!   and you may also want to install a 1961-3 Heavy Duty fan... it flows alot more air at the LOWER RPMS

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/