<VV> Reusing LM pistons

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Jul 26 06:48:13 EDT 2011

It is pretty much like the pistons of any engine.  Inspect for cracks adjacent the pin boss, clean the ring grooves, Check for fit [feeler gauge] & match to the cylinder barrels.  If the fit is close but, not close enough, have the skirts knurled.  Install new rings and assemble.  Piston failure is always a possibility but not a probability.  Most pistons survive forever regardless of engine / vehicle mileage.  Racers may wish to switch to forged pistons.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.