<VV> Reusing LM pistons

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:08:18 EDT 2011

Ned, like some others, I've reused pistons in the Corvair. Inspect
them for any damage, check the skirt measurement and then check
clearances from skirt to barrel after honing them, and if in new
limits, go for it.

Just know that hone jobs and reused pistons normally do not last as
long as replacement parts with new tolerances. And, the metal does age
over time. Its more dangerous to use old parts like pistons made from
an aluminum alloy because the heat cycles harden them. They get
brittle.
Mark Durham