<VV> [FC] Replacing fuel tank 5/16" rubber line....and fuel gauge

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Wed Jul 27 13:55:29 EDT 2011

Based on 3 things you said below we may be chasing the wrong problem.
10 year hibernation
It ran fine after replacing the pump
It vapor locks during a post shutdown heat soak.
Have you checked the accelerator pumps?  I've had vairs that sat long enough that the acc pump cups got hard.  The symptoms would be no start if you kill it hot.  When cold the chokes would make it rich enough to start but after the chokes were open it would run ok but not restart.
Could it be flooded?  That's what I've usually seen on hot soak.  The heat boils the fuel out of the carbs and you have to hold it wide open and crank for longer than normal to get it going.
I would check to see if the acc pumps are squirting immediately after killing the engine when hot and then before you try to start it after the heat soak period that normally gives you the trouble.  The first test will tell you the pumps are working and the second will tell you if the carbs have boiled out all the fuel.
Your swelled fuel line needs to be replaced but in my experience collapsing fuel lines mostly cause an out of gas symptom running down the road not a few hours after the car has run.
Are you sure the spark is good after the heat soak?
Sorry if some of these issues have already been discussed.
Joel McGregor