<VV> PISTONS

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 08:17:53 EDT 2011

Tim, I have done that too. In fact, back in the 60's and 70's, when
everything was pretty new, I put 220K on the cylinders and pistons. I
just honed the barrels and installed new cast rings at about 120K, and
did the heads. But I also changed the oil every 3-4K miles and kept
the air filters clean.

But today, now that my 62 is 50 years old, and in most cases we do not
know the history of how the cars were driven or if they even changed
the oil in them, heat is a enemy too the parts too, the metal ages
over time, and I am much less confident that there won't be problems.
So, I bit the bullet and bought new pistons that will most likely
still be working great in the car when I am gone.

Mark Durham