<VV> torch setup (Oxy-Acetyl)?

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jun 2 10:19:09 EDT 2011

Or 1 AM Sunday morning!

The size of the acetylene tank determines its output, so for a typical
rosebud you would need large tanks like Tim has. For occasional use of a
small cutting torch or smaller welding tips, small tanks can be useful.
These are bought outright, not "rented" or "righted". Now most places even
with bought tanks, you get another tank when you get them filled around
here.

Different gas suppliers have different rules, check with several in your
area (as you don't want to have to drive a long distance with acetaleyne in
your car)[also many places will not place a cylinder in your car, they may
require you to leave their property before placeing it in the car] to see
what they have available and their rules on exchanging your owned tanks.

Don't forget Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight, and Northern Tools. Some of
these even do tank exchange.

A torch is a wonderful thing, but even I don't use it often. Mostly now for
A/C work, summer you know....  also building a chiller at work for a
project. And because of that I gas welded a handle on a door recently as I
had no other welder available, and "they" wanted the handle on before they
could call the welding shop the next day. First thing I had gas welded in
years.

But nothing is better for rusted fasteners!

Frank DuVal