<VV> New Oils for Classic cars

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Jun 3 15:29:25 EDT 2011

I use Mobile 1 15-50 which says on the bottle "racing" and "flat
tappet" -- interestingly enough some bottles say one, some say the
other, some say both.  Their Web site says both on their chart and
both phosphorous and zinc are over 1200 ppm.  I have used this for
decades in everything from diesel trucks to tractors to
Corvairs.  You can get it in 5 quart bottles cheap at Walmart, Napa,
or Mobile stations -- which is why I prefer it over Amsoil.  There is
valid argument for either over the other but Amsoil is hard to get,
especially if on the road and you need to grab a quart.  Mobile 1 is
safe for breaking in engines and the evidence to me on this ZDDP is
clear.  Two of mine were rebuilt (by a shop) and they insisted it had
to be broken in with Castrol 30 wgt.  Both of those got flat cams in
10,000 miles.  New cams from Clark's (identical cams) and break in
with Mobile 1, 30k miles so far no problems.  A third I did initially
with Mobil 1, 20k so far no problems.  Depending on the vehicle I
change every 5k or 10k no matter how many years pass.  I have a 1980
Toyota I bought new that has 230k and several Ford pickups over 120k
and tractors with 10k hours ... the only problem is that I have no
excuse to get a new car or tractor because they all run perfectly.  I
had a speaker go out in my 99 diesel and my wife thought I should
replace the speaker rather than get a new truck :-(  Eric

At 09:00 AM 6/3/2011, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:42:28 -0400
>From: Harry Smith <     >
>Subject: Re: <VV> New Oils for Classic cars
>To: Jim Houston <jhouston45 at gmail.com>
>Cc: Virtual Vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>Intersting. I was discussing oil yesterday with a friend of mine and he sent
>me to a turbo website, Forced Performance. They had a nice chart on oil with
>brand, weight, amount of ZDDP and cost. I have attached it here.
>Harry Smith
>1963 Rampside
>Coral Springs, FL

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Pictures of Snake in Spring

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=115547&id=1409661701&l=1c375e1f49

Pictures of Camp Verde

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12771&id=1409661701&l=fc0e0a2bcf

Pictures of Land Cruiser in Sedona

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50953&id=1409661701

Pictures of Flagstaff area near our cabin

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12750&id=1409661701

Pictures of Cheryl in a Horse Show

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32484&id=1409661701

Pictures of the AZ Desert

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58827&id=1409661701

(You can see why we love this state :-) )