<VV> New Oils for Classic cars

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Jun 3 18:33:28 EDT 2011

I do know about them.  They are excellent.  So are Amsoil.  So is
Mobile 1.  Lots of people have lots of opinions about which is
best.  My comment on "safe not sorry" was not a reflection of the
Brad Penn oils -- it was that the old tried and true break in your
engine with Castrol 30 wgt is "safe" actually is not safe -- people
must educate themselves and pick a suitable oil they are comfortable
with rather than going with the old "safe not sorry" or you'll end up
with flat cams.

So ... I wanted something I could put in my Corvairs, tractors,
diesel trucks and Mobile 1 15-50 fits the bill as John Deere and Ford
have them on the approved list, and they have worked well for me.

The number one reason I get Mobile 1 instead of trying the others is
-- since after reading all the stuff I am not convinced as to exactly
which is "best" -- is availability.

The ability to stop at any Mobile station during a trip and get your
oil.  The ability to buy hyper-cheap synthetic in 5 quart bottles at
Walmart.  The ability to pick it up at literally every single auto
parts chain (Napa, Car Quest, Auto Zone are three we have here).  No
shipping costs, no pre-planning required.

I always carry a spare quart or two depending on the vintage of the
car.  I holed an oil filter while on a dirt road.  I needed 3.5
quarts.  Stop at the next gas station, fill er up!  No fuss, no
mess  ... well until I had to fix the filter for real.

So if versatility and availability and price and an excellent oil
(but one that arguably is not the best according to some people and
is the best according to other people) are big on your criteria list
-- Mobil 1 15-50 (especially from Wally World) is a good choice.  And
they do certify it for engine break in, so the "safe not sorry"
comment does not apply -- Mobile 1 is perfectly safe for break in as
well as regular usage.  I have literally 100s of thousands of miles
on Corvairs and have a vague idea as to how well it works.