<VV> oils for classic cars/ freshened engines

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:53:35 EDT 2011

Dan, I agree, you may never really know why something does not work!
But, I'm going to give the 15W50 a try in my motor. That is if I can
find it. My Wally's World quit carrying it. I'll have to try the local
Flaps.

If it goes askew, I'll let everyone know. But, I do not expect any
problems. The way I normally break in a air cooled motor is this.
1. Start and run at 1200-1400 rpm for 3 minutes. Shut off and let cool
to ambient temp.
2. Start and run for 3-5 minutes in the same RPM range, then let it
idle down and adjust mixture, balance and idle. Set timing. Shut off
and let cool off.
3. Go drive it for a half hour or so, make several accelerations to
help seat the rings. receck idle, timing and mixture. The rings should
be initially seated at this time.
Mark Durham