<VV> Cobalt NO CORVAIR

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Jun 9 19:44:38 EDT 2011

A couple of thoughts on kids and cars:

- I rented a series of Cobalts a couple of years ago when I was traveling every couple weeks.  I found that there was a *huge* difference in the level of feel between the base cars and the nice ones.  Many people drive a base rental and think that represents the line.  Not so, the Sport and SS I got were very nice. The base car was indeed an underpowered tin can, but given that was the target I wasn't surprised.  I think the Cruze will fare better simply because even the base car isn't an underpowered tin can.  My suggestion for a Cobalt driver would be a 2006 Sport edition, I had a yellow one that was a fun drive.

- Picking a somewhat interesting car may (I repeat, may) have the effect that when (when, not if) said kid wrecks it, the car mattered a little more than just some cheap throwaway and perhaps they will correctly recognize that "It's not my fault" really doesn't matter as you look over the damage and consider how bad it might have been.  That's our plan, anyway.

--Bryan