<VV> Fwd: Harmonic Balancer / Solid Pulley on 140

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jun 12 21:17:49 EDT 2011

At 07:05 PM 6/12/2011, Ken Pepke wrote:

>The use of the solid harmonic balancer [really just an inertia
>wheel] is not all that easy to define.  After literally hundreds of
>Corvairs going through the junkyard over the years we found more
>real harmonic balancers than inertia wheels by far.  Most of the
>inertia wheels came on low hp engines.  Very few on 102hp and 110hp
>engines.  EVERY broken crankshaft engine had the inertia wheel.
>
>Personally, I see NO reason to use the inertial wheel ... Ever.

The two 'Vair engines I personally had experience with that broke
cranks both had NO harmonic balancers...   One had a cast (ala 95hp)
pulley.   The other had an early model stamped steel pulley.   Both
were 140s which certainly should have had balancers.

I'd be leery of riding around with a 140 that was running a cast or
stamped pulley instead of a balancer.   For that matter, I'd be leery
of ANY late model engine that had anything other than a harmonic
balancer on it.

tony..