<VV> Oily limpics results?

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Mon Jun 20 08:27:26 EDT 2011

It would be hard to improve on Rick's witty commentary, but I too would like
to express my thanks to Brian, Ray, Dan, Al, Tom Miller and others who
worked so hard to pull this off.  As Rick said, if you weren't there, you
really don't know what you missed.

I am NOT a racer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I still had a
blast.  Brian O'Neal was determined to give me the "Bloody Stump" award for
driving with my arm out the window at Putnam Park, but hey, the car was
running great, it was a fun course and I was just out for a nice cruise.
Why not drive with my arm out the window?  :-)

I have been fighting with my carburetors for years and ended up only running
the primaries for the Olympics.  This probably cost me a few seconds at the
road course, but hey it was just for fun.  But when the driver's side
primary decided to go on vacation, it made it tough at the drags.  So, I
dialed in what I thought was a conservative time and guess when the driver's
side decided to work?  On the first run in competition, the car decided to
run great and I broke out by .2 seconds.  SIGH.

Auto-crossing will never be my sport.  To my tired old eyes, the course
appears to be little more than a sea of orange.  Thankfully we took a parade
lap which helped identify the course and David Clemens was gracious enough
to ride with me on one of the timed runs as a navigator.  In the second
heat, I did much better in that I found all the gates and ended up cutting 5
seconds out of my time.  I'm sure I still came in dead last, but at least
not so far behind.

As always, the most fun was just being with great Corvair friends.  Hanging
out at the LeVeque's on Friday night after the drag racing was a great
experience and I really want to thank Michael and Tracy for having us out.
If they do put together another in 2014, I will be there and no doubt slower
than I was this time, but I will still be having fun.  It is great fun for
everyone, the experienced racer and the old and slow can still enjoy it.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY