<VV> Clutch Linkage--Update

John Green jgreen at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 21 21:00:23 EDT 2011

I posted about my clutch linkage last week and had several suggestions. To
restate the problem, a few weeks ago the clutch became stuck on the floor, I
was able to lift it with with my foot and continue driving, This happened a
few times. Also, the action of the clutch pedal is rough about one-half of
way down and I can hear a noise coming from the rear of the car. The noise
and roughness occur with the car running and not running. Other than the
binding, roughness, and noise, the clutch works perfectly. The binding has
not reoccurred since the first few occurrences,

Based on recommendations and the service manual I have:

--cleaned and greased the cross shaft under the dashboard. The nylon
bushings were intact.

--cleaned and greased the pulley bushing and shaft

--cleaned and greased the bushings in the cross shaft under the car (in
front of the transmission). I replaced these bushings as well.

--removed the tunnel cover

The noise and rough pedal motion remain.

Bob Hall, a local expert, came by to check out the car (thanks again, Bob).
He suggested I remove the bell housing cover where the clutch shaft enters.
He once had similar symptoms with the nylon "bushing" in this cover plate
binding. I will try this.

Others suggested that I remove the drive train and inspect the throw out
bearing and pressure plate. Someone else suggested I use an inspection
camera to look at these parts.

Other thoughts?

Thanks,

John Green